Rise and shine, North Austin-Pflugerville! Let’s get you all caught up to start this Friday, January 14 on an enlightened note. Here’s everything you need to know around North Austin-Pflugerville today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Partly sunny and mild. High: 76 Low: 42.
Here are the top stories in North Austin-Pflugerville today:
- After last year’s historic freeze, the Town of Pflugerville is making new plans to prepare for this year’s winter. Deputy City Manager Amy Giannini said, “City staff worked to address many of the challenges encountered during the winter storm to be better prepared for future instances of extreme winter weather.” Some challenges that were addressed were “communications, utilities and computer outages, facilities, vehicles and police department operations”. City officials are also working on a “contingency plan” to “compile essential documentation for easy access during a crisis situation.” For more information, visit: (Subscription: Austin American Statesman)
- On Tuesday, January 11, Pflugerville city officials approved a “no parking zone on 10th Street” because “vehicles parked on the designated section of 10th Street reduce sight distance and create a hazard to drivers”. The ordinance was approved by the city council, and they will vote again on Tuesday, January 25. (Community Impact Journal)
- Applications are accepted for the Deutschen Pfest Committee “for an unexpired term ending on December 31, 2022 and an unexpired term ending on December 31, 2023”. Candidates must be registered to vote for the city of Pflugerville and have lived “within city limits for at least 12 months prior to nomination.” Applications are available at https://www.pflugervilletx.gov/city-government/boards-and-commissions/board-and-commission-applications or email@example.com and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org when completed. “Interviews and appointments will be made at an upcoming city council meeting.” (pflugervilletx.gov)
Today, the North Austin-Pflugerville Daily is brought to you in part by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. To find out how 5G will change your life and the life of your community — and to gain access to this incredible technology — Click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in North Austin-Pflugerville!
Today in North Austin-Pflugerville:
- Boys/Girls Bball v. Weiss at Hendrickson High School. (4 p.m.)
- Pflugerville Elders Meeting at the Pflugerville Recreation Center. (9am)
- The Distillery Comedy Tour at Spirit of Texas. (8 p.m.)
- Bruce Smith Live to the three-legged goat. (6 p.m.)
- Austin’s Official Home and Garden Show at the Austin Convention Center. (Midday)
From my notebook:
- “Check out Dolly, Clark and Merle, 9 week old mixed breed puppies who are currently available for adoption through Pflugerville Pets Alive! To schedule a meeting with these puppies or any other adoptable dog, please fill out the information sheet available on https://pflugervillepetsalive.org/adoptabledogs/ (please note that an electronic signature is acceptable!) and email it to email@example.com today!” (Facebook)
- “Remember that the Pflugerville Library Adult Winter Reading Challenge has begun! If you’ve finished your five books, you can fill out the submission form starting Saturday. It will be available on https://library.pflugervilletx.gov/…/adult-book-lists.” (Facebook)
- “Congratulations to the five musicians from Pflugerville ISD who have earned their place in the TMEA All-State Band! We are so proud of you, Kamryn, Chase, Jake, Carter and Alaina! Check it here: http://ow.ly/1qZz50HthuN.” (Facebook)
- “Congratulations to the new Executive Director of the Pflugerville ISD Education Foundation, Linda Medina-Lopez, and welcome to Pflugerville! She was chosen because of her work as chair of “Somos Austin,” the capital campaign for the Hispanic Impact Fund of the Austin Community Foundation. She now contributes her expertise to the Pflugerville Education Foundation. We can’t wait to see what 2022 has in store!” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the North Austin-Pflugerville Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Friday. I’ll join you early tomorrow with another update!
— Gabriela Couvillion
About me: I am a working mother of two adult sons and a lifelong resident of San Antonio. I received a BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my free time I immerse myself in creative writing. Thanks for reading Patch, and please let us know if you have any news and events that our readers might enjoy!